The Kauffman House Museum is open daily from Memorial Day through August and weekends in September from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm. Volunteer docents at the museum share the area history and information about the museum’s collection.
Locals have been welcoming visitors to Grand Lake even before the Town was officially established in 1881. Hotels began springing up on the lake shores in the 1890’s when early settler, Judge Wescott, began guiding hunting parties through the area. The Kauffman House was built by prospector, trapper and builder, Ezra Kauffman, and opened its doors to guests from 1892 to 1973 until the Grand Lake Historical Society purchased the building for use as a museum which was placed on the National Register of Historical Places on November 21, 1974.
Be sure to visit the Kauffman House Museum for a glimpse of the people and places in early Grand Lake. The museum overlooks Colorado’s largest natural lake just a short walk from Western Riviera!